Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Yak yak yak yak yak




Hey everyone!

So I made it to Tibet safe and sound. I absolutely love it here. The altitude is really high, but I'm not really having a problem with it. There is a market not too far from our hotel and I bought a north face jacket for like $35 US! The food is really good here too. The other day I had "yak chowmein" :D One thing you have to be careful about is the China-Tibet sensitivities. I am avoiding talking to anyone about the conflicts. Also, I have never been in a place that is "occupied" by an army force. I see camo trucks driving up and down the streets with men inside, soldiers walking in formation, and street corners armed with men in uniform and shields. I walk by them anytime I go anywhere. It reminds me of the gaza strip or something!

But enough about that...today was one of the best experiences of my life! We rode a bus up switchback roads to a Buddhist hermit village and I went rock climbing in the mountains. Sarah and I got some sweet pictures! One of my friends got a picture of a monk listening to his Ipod! It was so sweet! Since the elevation is so high, they have very limited access to technology, so they boil water by reflecting the sunlight off of metal plates. There are yaks everywhere like cows in any farm in the US and I got a picture like 5 feet away from one. Tibetan prayer flags are also a big deal. It was so crazy to see them strung literally from one cliff to the other. How the heck did people get UP there? I can't believe people actually lived in the caves too. It was a surreal experience, especially the view! It definitely beat anything I have ever witnessed in my life so far...

I know I keep going on and on without actually showing you pictures of everything, but I will figure out how to do it when I get back to Chengdu next Saturday or so. Later!

4 comments:

McBeckster2001 said...

Can't wait for the pictures!

Mommy Dearest said...

I thought I left a comment already, but it isn't here...humm. I'm so glad you updated your blog. I may die of curiosity, ya' know. I too can't wait for the pictures. I really want to go to China with you as my guide/interpreter! Let us know when you get back to Chengdu.
Love you too much.........

Anonymous said...

I'm like everyone else I can not wait to see the pictures. Sounds like you and your sister and friends are having a ball. Wish I could be there too. With Love, Grandma.............

Anonymous said...

Grandpa and I are enoying your blogs. What onderful experinces you a re having. Reminds me of
of week that I spent at Green lake Wisconsin at a Christian youth camp (when I was just 14 years old). We had a chinese missionary there with us. He taught us how to speak a few words and to eat with chopsticks. How much more you are learningl. Our love and prayers are with you, Grandpa and Grandma

About Me

Chengdu, Sichuan, China
Welcome to my blog! Here is where you can find out all about my experiences and thoughts ...mostly about my travels in China while I study abroad, teach English, and do research, but occasionally I'll post some other stuff! I am a college student pursuing degrees in Chinese Studies and Social Work. I love my life and I don't know what I would rather be doing but trying to live my life for my heavenly father and his will!