So I must apologize for my last frantic blog...but it was warranted. Since my purse got stolen, I've been back near the scene of the theft two or three times. Also, my classes have officially been in session for two weeks now, so a nice routine will hopefully keep me out of trouble! Or so I thought...
Sarah and I parked our bikes outside of the North gate of the university to catch a bus downtown. When we came back, our bikes had been stolen! I couldn't believe it! I wasn't as upset because a bike can be replaced easily. Plus, I think I'm starting to realize that theft is a big part of life in any big city. The annoying part is being dubbed the "bad luck sisters" and other various titles...Sarah lost her room key not too long ago.
So today I went to apply for my new visa. I found out the cost would be around 940 yuen. My passport cost 730 yuen, and my purse had 1200 yuen in it...so not counting everything else I had to pay for, my minimal loss comes to about $430 (US) but I had to buy a new purse, translator, bike...so it will be more than that...but in the course of my whole life the money lost is not as significant as the lesson learned. I keep telling myself that. Mom said something that cannot be denied either. This is a sign that I am doing God's will. If I wasn't, I don't think that the Enemy would be attacking so forcefully! So bring it on (not really...but you know what I mean)!
So I believe God has answered many of your (and my) prayers by sending some very special people into my life. Or it could potentially be another temptation by Satan...I will explain everything and then you can tell me what you think! It is one of those things that may be a real blessing or too good to be true.
My professor approached me after class with the proposition of teaching English. He gave me the phone number of the guy who was the "middle man" for his friend who wanted a tutor. At first it was kinda sketchy because he specifically requested a female tutor. I didn't see why that made a difference and I knew nothing about him. So when I went to meet this guy, I took a guy friend with me and definitely planned on backing out if it got even slightly weird. We met at this golf country club and sat and talked for about 3 hours before the man invited me to dinner. He is about my parents age and he has a daughter about my age. She is really cool and I am glad that this explains the request for a female tutor. He is a very kind and generous man. The dinner was very expensive and I felt totally out of place.
He told me that he and his daughter wanted to learn and practice English in a friendship setting. Since money is no obstacle for him, he was willing to pay for my transportation and any other expenses revolved around building a relationship (dinner and what not) and learning English. He also said that he could help me with my Chinese. He wants to pay me too, but I don't know if that is a good idea because it violates my visa (which I currently don't have lol). It really isn't worth it if I get caught. Plus the amount he has already spent on dinner, going out, and transportation is payment enough if you ask me!
So this has turned out to be a lucky experience so far. It seems legit, but I will keep you all updated. I hope it is not Satan trying to distract me from what I am supposed to be doing. What do you think?
Well I'm going to go to bed now, so I hope to hear from everyone soon! Love and miss you all!
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- crystalswetz
- Chengdu, Sichuan, China
- Welcome to my blog! Here is where you can find out all about my experiences and thoughts ...mostly about my travels in China while I study abroad, teach English, and do research, but occasionally I'll post some other stuff! I am a college student pursuing degrees in Chinese Studies and Social Work. I love my life and I don't know what I would rather be doing but trying to live my life for my heavenly father and his will!
2 comments:
I'm so glad to see an update on your blog. For me it symbolizes moving on. I know you already had, but I can see it and feel it in your blog.
Be sure to always keep another person (preferably big and beefy)with you when you go out with your new friends, please! I know, from talking with your prof., that it is common for people to want to have native English speakers help them learn the language. It is helpful for them in getting into colleges there. Most importantly, go with God; he is the biggest and burliest! I/we will continue to pray for you and your entire groups' protection. Please tell us what church is like there when you go.
Is there a rule about the comments not being longer than the blog?? I better stop now. I love you so much that I find myself short of breath at times. I hope to skype with you soon!
Hi, I would take Sarah with you when you met with these people. Or someone else. Never go alone.
Sounds like things are looking up. God will take care of you. With Love, Grandma........
Post a Comment