On Saturday, our group went to a city stricken by the earthquake. It was a very interesting experience. My experience was definitely not what I expected.
We began our trip by going to a refugee type community. As we walked through, I felt an odd sense of being voyeuristic that I did not like at all. We pretty much invaded their space and treated it like a tourist site, which I consider very inappropriate. Apparently, we did the same tour that Condoleeza Rice went on. But there wasn't much more to that excursion.
Next, we went to a high school to volunteer to do activities with the kids. Goings-on included soccer, making friendship bracelets, singing English songs, frisbee, and playing cards. I opted to sing songs :)
Now this might seem kinda cheesy, but one of the songs we taught them was "You are my sunshine." The day was overcast and rubble was still everywhere from the earthquake. Many of the kids could read and speak English, so the language barrier was not a huge problem. There was a profound moment for me as we sung "you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away." Amidst everything bad that had happened to these high schoolers, they could still come together to sing about hope and love when their lives had hit rock bottom. I couldn't prepare for the swelling feeling in my heart that I experienced towards these children. This, this here is the true definition of peace. One of the dictionary's definitions calls peace: freedom of the mind from annoyance, distraction, anxiety, an obsession, etc.; tranquillity; serenity. How can one know peace without the knowledge of unrest, disorder, and anxiety? When do you know that peace has been achieved? It's when young, bright minds come together, despite all hardships, to be united in perfect harmony--musical harmony brings peaceful harmony. I know this sounds so cliche, but I could not begin to describe to you the feeling I felt. Afterwards, everyone told me they loved the singing. Hugs all-around, I got back on the bus knowing that I made new friends that I connected with in a special way.
3 comments:
I must say that this was one of your best blogs to date! I remember singing that song to you when you we sooo little. Now my sunshine is sharing her sunshine, love and human kindness with others! WOW! Disregard the first paragraph of my message to you on Facebook. This is the update I was looking for. Good thing you added a picture to this one, because I understand that Bethany was/is out to get you! I love you so much!
So glad to get your up date. Sounds so great. Can hardly wait until you get back home. Two more months. The time use is going fast. With Love, Grandma........
heh heh heh.. i am out to get you!!
I'm just kidding lol..
I miss you SOOOOO MUCH!!
Please come back soon!!
I'm counting down the days until december! huzzah!
Love you!
your sis (in friends and in jesus)
Bethany <3
Post a Comment